13 February 2010

Let the Games Begin!

Whether you were a supporter of the Olympic bid or not I think it is time to rally behind this global event. Like it or not the games are here. Now is our chance to show the world what Vancouver and Canadians are like--hospitable, generous and competitive. I was very disappointed that protesters disrupted the torch run on the last day so that the kids from Britannia who had come out to see it pass missed out; not to mention the veterans who also missed the torch pass because of a detour to avoid protesters. By all means protest if you want to, but do not deny others the joy, the excitement and the pleasure of this once in a lifetime event. As my dad used to say, 'the right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose'. There is a time and place to protest, the relay was not one.

The opening ceremonies were fabulous; I enjoyed watching them at home. Now I will watch with eager anticipation as Canada goes for the gold. Whether we win one, two or more of those elusive medals is really beside the point. The world is watching. Let's show them who we are. Let's be the best that we can be. (Go Canada Go)

No comments:

Post a Comment