04 May 2016
Birds of a feather are flocking together!
Vancouver Park Board
May 4, 2016
Birds of a feather are flocking together for
Vancouver Park Board’s annual Bird Week!
Look, linger and listen during Vancouver Bird Week, May 7 – 14.
Bird Week is a week-long series of events to celebrate Vancouver's birds. It was inspired by World Migratory Bird Day, a United Nations-sponsored initiative that recognizes the importance of birds as the key indicators of our environment's health.
“Vancouver residents have embraced Bird Week since it was launched in 2013 and events fill up quickly,” said Vancouver Park Board Chair Sarah Kirby-Yung. “Birds are visible markers of a healthy ecosystem and watching and listening to them helps reduce stress.”
The theme this year is Birds in our Garden and there are more events than ever before.
“Interest in Vancouver as a birding destination is growing among residents and international ornithologists who will flock here for the International Ornithological Congress in 2018,” said scientist, author and film maker Rob Butler.
There will be free bird-related art workshops, walks, talks, exhibitions and lectures across Vancouver highlighting backyard birds and how to improve their living environment around us. Bird Week events include:
· Hands-on with Birds, May 7 - 14
· Garden Plants for Birds, May 7
· VanDusen Bird Walk with Richard Wing, May 7
· UBC Plant Sale, May 7
· Dawn Chorus Walk, May 8
· Mothers’ Day Bioblitz, May 8
· Photographing Birds, May 8
· Meet the Photographer-Bird Photography Exhibition, May 9
· Owl Prowl, May 9
· Create Graphic Stories Based on Back Yard Birds, May 10, 11 and 13
· The Messenger (exclusive screening) with introduction by David Suzuki, May 11
· Bird Taxidermy, May 12
· Chinese Brush Painting, May 12
· Bird Week Big Day (bird count), May 14
· Bird Walks in Vancouver parks, May 14
· Introduction to Bird Watching, May 14
· Discovery Station: Birds of VanDusen, May 14
· Build Your Own Nest Box, May 14
· Drawing Birds: An Introduction, May 14
· Sea Safari of Howe Sound, May 14
· Bird Week Finale, May 14
Vancouver Bird Week is organized by a collaborative partnership of non-profits, artists, and other institutions, in partnership with the Vancouver Park Board and the City of Vancouver.
More information can be found at vancouverbirdweek.ca.
Vancouver Park Board