23 October 2009

Autumnal thoughts

As the weather finally changes and before we have to bundle up for the winter chill I wanted to share a few thoughts and some great photos from my friend Louis. Autumn is definitely my favourite season. There is something magical about this time of year. I love the colours and the hint of chill in the air. The smells are terrific. Spring always smells fresh, but autumn has a distinctive smell that always reminds me of my childhood. I know it is politically incorrect--especially for a Green--but I have to admit that I miss the smell of burning leaves. I recall coming home after soccer practice as a lad on a Saturday to find my Dad burning the leaves we had raked earlier in the week in an old oil drum in the back yard. We would stand around and chat, watching the smoke and the fire. I loved that time with my Dad. It is a good thing we don't burn leaves any more, but it is a childhood memory I will always cherish.

Vancouver is especially beautiful at this time with the juxta-position of the leaden sky and the trees with their turning leaves. I hope everyone who reads this has taken the time to go for a walk around Stanley Park, or even just through your neighbourhood and seen nature in all its blazing glory. It is hard not to be in awe at the beautiful display. If you have ever wondered where I got my slogan "People and Nature in Balance" for my campaign from, just step outside and look at the autumnal city.

Photos by Louis Lapprend (c) 2009 used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment